Craig worked for HM Revenue & Customs for over ten years before joining a specialist accountancy practice advising professional partnerships. He then moved to one of the largest independent accountancy practices in the North. Craig has an in depth understanding of the tax issues affecting individuals and owner managed business.
Craig joined Gilbert Tax in 2006 as a partner.
Craig is a member of the following professional bodies: Association of Taxation Technicians, Federation of Tax Advisors (Fellow), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Chartered Insurance Institute.
Craig has extensive experience of tax investigations and other issues including:
- Employed or self employed status investigations
- IR35 Investigations
- Residency and domicile investigations
- Offshore bank account investigations
- Capital Gains Tax investigations
- Savings and Investments Tax investigations
- Failure to register for Tax, National Insurance and VAT
- HMRC Personal liability notices served on company Directors
- Investigations in to professionals such as Doctors, Dentists, Solicitors, Barristers, Surveyors etc.
- Isle of Man and other disclosure opportunities
- Penalty appeals
- Criminal Investigations including working with Solicitors in any prosecution case
- Tax errors discovered as part of or after a due diligence process
- ‘Best advice’ issues when litigation against an accountant is being considered
- Specialist Investigations
- HMRC Local Compliance Fraud
- HMRC Local Compliance
- Contractual Disclosure Facility
- Code of Practice 9
- Code of Practice 8
- Offshore Coordination Unit
- Offshore Disclosure Facility
- Tax Amnesty
- Helping People Voluntarily Disclose their Tax Evasion to HMRC
- Property Tax Investigations
- Offshore Tax Investigations
- Bringing Peoples Tax Affairs up to Date
- HMRC Compliance Checks
- Income Tax Investigations
- Corporate Tax Investigations
- First Tier Tax Tribunal Representation
- Tax Appeals
- Tax Residence, Domicile and related issues
- Negotiating Settlements with HMRC
Craig adopts a non-judgemental approach and considers each tax issue merely a problem to resolve which he does with a mixture of technical ability and insight in to the workings of HMRC.
He is well regarded by accounting practitioners, solicitors, barristers and clients for his practical non-nonsense approach to dealing with HMRC and finding compromises where it is commercially sensible whilst retaining the ability to bring an enquiry to a legally correct conclusion when that offers the best result for the client.
Initial consultations or an informal chat are free to both clients and other professionals.